Kernel Minimums

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Tue Dec 7 09:46:25 PST 2004

DHAJOGLO wrote:

>>I think you need to clarify what you plan to do.
>>

>I would like to start with the barest minimum kernel install ever possible in the entire world (or as close as possible :)  I think this is a good idea (even if others may not).  Then from there I can put whatever I like into it.

A bare minimum system is NOT going to be functional enough to compile
software, that's what you don't seem to understand.  The software
installed by LFS in chapter 6 is just about the bare minimum necessary
to compile most packages.

>>If all you want to do is learn about the kernel, install a recent distro and concentrate on
>>the code.  But, if you are intending to do any half-serious coding or
>>testing of the kernel, you'll need bzip2 (for the patches you download
>>

>>from kernel.org), and perhaps sed and perl for the kernel build.
>
>I am well aware of what the various packages are for... I am trying to be vague on purpose to spark discussion.  Lets face it, Ed-0.2 isn't exactly the most important package in the install; is M4 there because of lfs needs or is it simply a commonly used package?  In a barest of bare it probably could be skipped.  I don't have a problem with the list of packages and don't think they should be changed... I'm simply asking for advice.

Patch sort of depends on Ed, which is why it was in the book.  Note as
of LFS 6.0, Ed has been removed, and so has procinfo.  M4 is needed to
compile many pieces of software (including Binutils).  LFS *IS* barest
of bare, if you want to be able to add on additional packages.

The trick to making a very small system is to build up to where you
want, then remove things that are no longer necessary to run the things
you want.

-J-