Kernel Minimums

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Dec 6 23:47:00 PST 2004

DHAJOGLO wrote:
> I am well aware of what the various packages are for... I am trying to be vague on purpose to spark discussion.  Lets face it, Ed-0.2 isn't exactly the most important package in the install; is M4 there because of lfs needs or is it simply a commonly used package?  In a barest of bare it probably could be skipped.  I don't have a problem with the list of packages and don't think they should be changed... I'm simply asking for advice.

Well, there's two things to be aware of.  1) Compile-time dependencies
and 2) Runtime dependencies.  Compile-time dependencies will include
things like the compiler (gcc), linker (binutils) and other ancillary
packages, which you probably don't want in your final minimal system.
So, if you want to go the really minimal route then you'll need a second
machine (or secondary OS) that has all these packages installed, so you
can actually compile the packages you *do* want.

As far as a minimal system goes, I think you can get along with just the
kernel and a shell (bash).  You will need glibc and the gcc runtime libs
as well, unless you compile bash statically.  Performing an 'ldd
/bin/bash' will get you the libraries that any package requires at
runtime.  For more info on this I'd highly recommend the "From Powerup
to Bash" Howto available from TLDP.

Hope this helps,

Matt.