Kernel Minimums

DHAJOGLO DHAJOGLO at smumn.edu
Mon Dec 6 15:39:11 PST 2004

> I think you need to clarify what you plan to do.

I would like to start with the barest minimum kernel install ever possible in the entire world (or as close as possible :)  I think this is a good idea (even if others may not).  Then from there I can put whatever I like into it.

> If all you want to do is learn about the kernel, install a recent distro and concentrate on
>the code.  But, if you are intending to do any half-serious coding or
>testing of the kernel, you'll need bzip2 (for the patches you download
>from kernel.org), and perhaps sed and perl for the kernel build.

I am well aware of what the various packages are for... I am trying to be vague on purpose to spark discussion.  Lets face it, Ed-0.2 isn't exactly the most important package in the install; is M4 there because of lfs needs or is it simply a commonly used package?  In a barest of bare it probably could be skipped.  I don't have a problem with the list of packages and don't think they should be changed... I'm simply asking for advice.

> If you generally like to make things hard for yourself, then fine.

I'm glad you approve of my approach.

>But, you're pretty much on your own - most LFS users accept most of the
>packages in the book so slimming it down to a "hairshirt LFS" will
>probably give you all manner of problems that the rest of us never see.

I am not suggesting slimming the book down... I am looking for ancillary info to the book.  Perhaps a bit more, an appendix entry, more options.  I do agree that its very slim to begin with.

>Most people want a bit more functionality (just think of all the fun in
>blfs if you don't have half of the normal base system).

Most, but not all.

regards,
Dave