Kernel Minimums

DHAJOGLO DHAJOGLO at smumn.edu
Mon Dec 6 14:07:40 PST 2004

>If you really want a minimal Linux system, use the book as a guide to build
>the system into another root partition. Keep the build environment in one
>partition and only install what you want into the other. You can use chroot
>to check if the target partition contains enough to run. After all, Linux
>doesn't 'need' gcc, or any of the header files in /usr/include or make, flex
>etc, Once you've got a kernel, a shell, the libs and other requirements. The
>rest is only needed if you plan to actually compile software on the box.

I would be willing to help test such things out.  I am doing all of this on spare machines for the sole purpose to learn more about the kernel.  I was just looking at some of the progs in chapter 6 thinking that I really only need to reinstall the tool chain and can skip things like bzip, groff, sed... etc.

And while I would need these to do real work I would be able to put them on and manage them on an individual basis.

I am looking to make a department distro for our computer science department.

>I've been tossing this idea around for a while. When I get some more time, and
>an extra box, I'll have a go and maybe write a hint detailing just how
>minimal a system can be built.

Let me know if you come up with anything... I'm in no hurry... just stepping through 5.1.1 and will upgrade and work on 6 next.

-dave