Kernel Minimums

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Mon Dec 6 13:20:20 PST 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 20:14, DHAJOGLO wrote:
> >The book provides a minimum build of the the toolchain and basic
> >functionailty, if you just want a kernel,
>
> So, I would basically need the chapter 5 tools (re installed in chapter 6 +
> gcc 2.95) and the kernel.  This is kind of what I thought but I wasn't sure
> if the kernel would complain about missing things like groff, flex, ed...
> etc.

Chapter 5 is all statically linked, which is why chapter 6 re-builds
everything. Most of what's built by the end of the book is the bare minimum
to build anything else.

> >which is useless with out the
> >other programs.
>
> And while I understand it would be rather featureless I kind of like it
> that way.  I feel I can then put up a webserver, file server, etc with out
> having to worry about removing or updating software that I will likely
> never use.

LFS builds the minimum tools for building and installing any other programs.
Of course a Linux box can run without some of the tools built, but compiling
requires quite a few tools like perl, flex, groff etc.

If you really want a minimal Linux system, use the book as a guide to build
the system into another root partition. Keep the build environment in one
partition and only install what you want into the other. You can use chroot
to check if the target partition contains enough to run. After all, Linux
doesn't 'need' gcc, or any of the header files in /usr/include or make, flex
etc, Once you've got a kernel, a shell, the libs and other requirements. The
rest is only needed if you plan to actually compile software on the box.

I've been tossing this idea around for a while. When I get some more time, and
an extra box, I'll have a go and maybe write a hint detailing just how
minimal a system can be built.

Cheers,

	John Gay