Glibc fails make check

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sun Dec 5 15:15:02 PST 2004

Jon Fullmer wrote:

>on 12/5/04 3:45 PM, Jeremy Utley at jeremy at jutley.org wrote:
>

>>Jon Fullmer wrote:
>>

>>>When I issue a "make check", it goes for a while, but then comes up with:
>>>
>>>/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4682: invalid character: message ignored
>>>/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4685: invalid character: message ignored
>>>/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4688: invalid character: message ignored
>>>/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4695: invalid character: message ignored
>>>/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4698: invalid character: message ignored
>>>make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de/libc.cat] Error 1
>>>make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1/catgets'
>>>make[1]: *** [catgets/tests] Error 2
>>>make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1'
>>>make: *** [check] Error 2
>>>

>>Couple of possibilities here.  My first thought would be that either you
>>didn't install the locales properly when you built glibc in chapter
>>5...or something went wrong with your chapter 5 gettext installation.
>>That's about all I can really think of that might be a problem.
>>
>>-J-
>>

>I'm intrigued.  I didn't install the locales at all in chapter 5, because it
>recommends that you don't:
>
>"If you are not running the test suites here in this chapter as  per our
>recommendation, there is little point in installing the  locales now. We'll
>be installing the locales in the next  chapter." (LFS 5.1.1, chapter 5,
>glibc)
>
>And while the glibc section of chapter 6 specifies to install the locales,
>it doesn't actually install them until after the "make install", which is
>after the "make check."
>
>Should I have installed the locales in Chapter 5, then?
>
> - Jon

You either have to install ALL locales in chapter 5, or at least the
minimal group of locales listed after the make
localedata/install-locales command.  These minimal locales are needed
for proper operation of tests later on.

I'm not 100% sure this is what's wrong in your case, but it certainly
seems likely.

-J-