Glibc fails make check

Jon Fullmer jon at jonfullmer.com
Sun Dec 5 15:11:26 PST 2004

on 12/5/04 3:45 PM, Jeremy Utley at jeremy at jutley.org wrote:

> Jon Fullmer wrote:
>

>> When I issue a "make check", it goes for a while, but then comes up with:
>>
>> /sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4682: invalid character: message ignored
>> /sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4685: invalid character: message ignored
>> /sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4688: invalid character: message ignored
>> /sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4695: invalid character: message ignored
>> /sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4698: invalid character: message ignored
>> make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de/libc.cat] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1/catgets'
>> make[1]: *** [catgets/tests] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1'
>> make: *** [check] Error 2
>>
> Couple of possibilities here.  My first thought would be that either you
> didn't install the locales properly when you built glibc in chapter
> 5...or something went wrong with your chapter 5 gettext installation.
> That's about all I can really think of that might be a problem.
>
> -J-

I'm intrigued.  I didn't install the locales at all in chapter 5, because it
recommends that you don't:

"If you are not running the test suites here in this chapter as  per our
recommendation, there is little point in installing the  locales now. We'll
be installing the locales in the next  chapter." (LFS 5.1.1, chapter 5,
glibc)

And while the glibc section of chapter 6 specifies to install the locales,
it doesn't actually install them until after the "make install", which is
after the "make check."

Should I have installed the locales in Chapter 5, then?

 - Jon