Glibc fails make check

Jon Fullmer jon at jonfullmer.com
Sun Dec 5 14:37:04 PST 2004

(sorry, I accidentally sent this message the first time before I was
finished):

I¹ve seen this posted before, but no one has posted an answer (assuming
there is one).  I've been following the instructions for LFS 5.1.1 very
religiously.  I've made it all the way to Chapter 6, when you need to
compile the glibc.  I'm using the "glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1" package.  The
configure goes fine, and the make appears to go fine (couldn't find any
mention of errors).

When I issue a "make check", it goes for a while, but then comes up with:

/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4682: invalid character: message ignored
/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4685: invalid character: message ignored
/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4688: invalid character: message ignored
/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4695: invalid character: message ignored
/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de.msg:4698: invalid character: message ignored
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/catgets/de/libc.cat] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1/catgets'
make[1]: *** [catgets/tests] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1'
make: *** [check] Error 2

On checking Google, they mentioned that there was a problem with
glibc-2.2.x, in which you had to specify a value for LC_ALL.  I tried this:

export LC_ALL=en_US

Cleared the glibc-build directory, deleted the source, re-extracted the tar
ball, ran the configure again, ran the make again, ran the make check again,
and still got the same result.

Has anyone else run into this?  Is there a solution?  Should I be worried
about this?

 - Jon Fullmer