problems with gettext-0.14.1

godh8tsme phunlovn1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 11:36:12 PST 2004

This is my first lfs.  I have been following the book (5.1.1) very
closely.  So far I have had very few problems.  The few I have had
until now have been rather easy to solve.  However, I am currently
unable to get gettext-0.14.1 to compile.  It runs ./configure fine.
But when I go to run make I get the resulting error:

Making all in gettext-runtime
make[1]: Entering directory 'gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime'
cd . && /bin/sh /gettext-0.14.1/config/missing --run aclocal-1.8 -I m4
-I ../gettext-tools/m4 -I ../autoconf-lib-link/m4 -I ../config/m4
/gettext-0.14.1/config/missing: line 46: aclocal-1.8: command not
found
WARNING: 'aclocal-1.8' is needed, and you do not seem to have it handy
on your system.  You might have modified some files without having the
proper tools for further handling them.  Check the 'README' file, it
often tells you about the needed prerequirements for installing this
package. You may also peek at any NU archive site, in case some other
package would contain this missing 'aclocal-1.8' program.
make[1]: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I have tried the README and found nothing.  I have re-downloaded the
package and unpacked it to a new directory.  But the problem doesn't
change.  I know automake should install aclocal later on but in the
mean time is there something obvious I have missed (or am missing).
If there is please feel free to let me know.  I have reread the
previous sections (from the chroot to the lfs directory) repeatedly
but have not seen anything that said it would install aclocal. I could
copy it over from the original system (Redhat 9) but that would seem
to defeat the purpose.  Thank you in advance.