problem with locales

Lucien GENTIS lucien.gentis at waika9.com
Wed Aug 25 09:25:27 PDT 2004

Hi to all,

I have LFS 4.1 with glibc 2.3.1

I have a problem (I guess I have) with locales:

When installing glibc, I installed all locales with
make localedata/*install-locales;
so I have 2 directories :
/usr/share/i18n/locales with files like en_US, fr_FR, ...
**/usr/share/i18n/charmaps with files like ISO-8859-1, **ISO-8859-15, ...
I have also a directory /usr/lib/locale with a file named locale-archive.

I tried to install a locale for France with the command:
"localedef -i fr_FR at euro -f ISO-8859-15 freuro" without error message
but after that, no directory "freuro" is create, and
the command locale -a returns only C and POSIX.

Is this normal ?

I ask myself this question because I have problem to display
Eurosign:
--- In OpenOffice 1.1, Eurosign cannot be displayed
--- In xterm and gvim, Eurosign is displayed pressing the "Currency" key

Many thanks for your help

Lucien

*