'xterm': unknown terminal type.

Chuck Teal silverback011 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 17:06:29 PDT 2004

I built up my system until it came to the point of
installing the GRUB.  I wasn't sure if this was the
way I wanted to do it, so I left the chroot
environment.

I tried to enter the LFS environmnet using the
following script: (as instructions in Chap 6 end)

chroot "$LFS" /usr/bin/env -i \
    HOME=/root TERM="$TERM" PS1='\u:\w\$ ' \
    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin \
    /bin/bash --login

The first problem is that there is not a '/usr/bin/env
-i' but there exists a '/bin/env -i'.  So I just
modified the script to get back into chroot.

When I try to execute 'grub' or 'clear' I get the
error message:

'xterm': unknown terminal type.

That prevents me from installing grub.  I get
additional output when using the 'grub' command:

Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a
long time.
Error opening terminal: xterm.

When I use a echo $PATH:

/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin

I get what I expect.  I guess I have two questions:

1) Should I be concerned that I don't have a
/usr/bin/env ?

2) Why am I getting this xterm error?

Thanks for any help.