Am I in the right place?

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Tue Aug 24 08:29:06 PDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:47:31 -0400 Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:

> 	OK, bear with me, as I'm really a n00b at this. If I get the
> 	source
> for the various libraries that are currently trying to dynamically link
> to a particular lib, and compile them with the -static option, they
> should be portable across distros?

No. It's not the library that has to be linked statically (libraries are
not linked at all), its the program. I really think you should ask in a
forum for developers such as gcc-help at gcc.gnu.org.Your question is
off-topic here.
But first you should try the ELF statifier tool I have suggested. It's
probably the easiest solution for you.

> 	Currently I'm distributing them in their own directory, and the
> executable starts by munging the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental variable
> to look at my directory first. Will this also work with
> statically-compiled libraries, as you've described?

You won't need any libraries for a statically linked program and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH has no effect as there is no dynamic linking involved.

MSB

--
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
something.