Am I in the right place?

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 24 07:55:40 PDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:47:31 -0400
Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:

> OK, bear with me, as I'm really a n00b at this. If I get the source
> for the various libraries that are currently trying to dynamically
> link to a particular lib, and compile them with the -static option,
> they should be portable across distros?

I don't think you need the source at all.  Basically, if you don't
specify the '-static' option, then the resultant binary knows to link to
the various '*.so' libraries at runtime.  By using the '-static' option,
the corresponding '.la' file is used to bring the required code into the
binary itself.  Therefore, if you compile something statically, you
don't need to distribute _anything_ other than the binary itself.

Matt.