Am I in the right place?

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Tue Aug 24 07:52:54 PDT 2004

On Aug 24, 2004, at 10:43 AM, Matthias B. wrote:

>> 	One of the people who has helped on other parts of this project
>> stated
>> that what I was trying to do was essentially building my own distro of
>> Linux, albeit one that could only do the few things I need.
>
> I'm confused. Do you want to create only a self-contained binary of 1
> application that other people can copy to their existing Linux systems
> for
> running or do you want to produce a bootable medium such as a CD that
> people can use without even possessing Linux. Unless you want to do the
> latter, you don't need to create your own Linux distro.

	I want to be able to distribute a self-contained binary. I'm assuming
that the target for this binary already has Linux, although it might be
a different distro than what I built the binary on.

	To back up a bit, I'm creating a tool written in Python/wxPython, and
want users to be able to run it on their systems. I'm using the
cx_Freeze tool to build the executable file and grab all the dependent
libraries into a single folder that I can zip up and distribute. So far
this works well if the recipient has the same distro as I built it on
(FC2), but it fails on older distros, such as RH8, with an error
message like:

libdl.so.2: symbol _rtld_global_ro, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined
in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference

      ___/
     /
    __/
   /