Problem during LFS 5.1.1 Chap 5 GLibc compilation

Allard Welter allard at quicknet.nl
Mon Aug 23 05:55:12 PDT 2004

On Monday 23 August 2004 14:09, U. Siegel wrote:
> Hello at all,
> i try to follow the instructions found lin LFS V 5.1.1 book.
> First hurdle i found was at point "Linux-2.4.26 headers"
> installation. Because there was no root directory given (like e.g.
> gcc-build before) i decided to unpack linux-2.4.26 archive to
> $LFS/linux-2.4.26 while $LFS is set to /mnt/lfs.
> This was a bit confusing to me.

It doesn't really matter where you unpack the sources. What you've done
is fine although it's probably better to follow the books suggestion to
create a sources directory and store and unpack things there. Later in
ch 6 it makes sense to unpack sources in /usr/src, the traditional
directory for this purpose. In ch 5 everything is temporary and will
eventually be deleted (watch out for those few packages that should be
kept for a bit).

> Ok, minor problem, but next one is bit harder to me.
> Following the instructions for Glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1 compiletation i
> had after unpacking the archive all Glibc sources at directory
> /mnt/lfs/glibc-build/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1
> Expecting to configure glibc at this directory i called
> /mnt/lfs/glibc- build/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1/configure w/ all options
> mentioned in the book.
> This resulted in a message:
> configure: error: you must configure in a separate build directory
> There i made 'cd ..' (to /mnt/lfs/glibc-build/) and called ./glibc-
> 2.3.3-lfs-5.1/configure again.

This will no doubt work, but the idea is to create the build directory
at the same level as the directory containing the sources, ie you
should have
/mnt/lfs/glibc-build/
/mnt/lfs/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1
and call ../glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1/configure from the build directory

> Now it went through.
> But later on during 'make check' i gor the message below:
> /mnt/lfs/glibc-build/rt/librt_pic.a(timer_routines.os)(.text+0x84c):
> In function `__timer_thread_start':
> ../linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread/timer_routines.c:492: undefined
> reference to `pthread_create'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [/mnt/lfs/glibc-build/rt/librt.so] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/glibc-build/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1/
> posix'
> make[1]: *** [posix/tests] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/glibc-build/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1'
> make: *** [check] Error 2
>
> Does i have to worry about this Error? Was it the correct decision to
> configure Glibc one directory above?

This is in the archives recently. IIRC the advice is to continue. The
book doesn't recommend running the test suites in chapter 5 and to
expect errors if you do. Be sure to run the test suites in chapter 6
though.

> Also i'm still unsure if storing sources at build directory is
> correct. At this time i have $LFS/binutils-build/binutils-2.14,
> $LFS/gcc-build/ gcc-3.3.3 and so on.
> Sometimes it would be helpful to have a short overview how the
> directories should are setup at this point.

See above. It is all explained in the book quite adequately IMO. You
probably skimped over it in your haste to get down to the nitty gritty.

> Many thanks for your clarifications!

Regards
Allard