util-linux can't find hwclock ?

Allard Welter allard at quicknet.nl
Mon Aug 23 04:52:30 PDT 2004

On Monday 23 August 2004 09:27, Jan Mattila wrote:
[...]
> I had the exact same problem a couple of days ago (I posted
> "LFS-5.1.1 Ch.6 - Util-linux-2.12a build problems" Thu, 19 Aug
> 2004 01:40:39).
>
> Looking inside config.h you can get an idea of the significance
> of that error:
>
> [root at terry:~] # cat /tools/include/linux/config.h
>
> #ifndef _LINUX_CONFIG_H
> #define _LINUX_CONFIG_H
>
> #include <linux/autoconf.h>
>
> #endif
>
> So you can either fix that include to point to the empty autoconf.h
> at /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h or you can touch a new autoconf.h
> into what should oddly be /tools/include/linux/linux/autoconf.h
> since the config.h is pointing to a linux directory inside the
> /tools/include/linux directory, but I might have a bug in my head
> about how these directory hierarchies actually work.

There is nothing odd, you seem to be confusing things unnecessarily. The
standard include path is /usr/include. All includes are taken relative
to this directory (notice the #include line in the header you quote is
not absolute). Now _read_ the util-linux instructions and you will find
the following: "Util-linux doesn't use the freshly installed headers
and libraries from the /tools directory. This is fixed by altering the
configure script: s@/usr/include@/tools/include at g" Resulting in
configure now searching relative to /tools/include.

> I changed the include address to /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h
> and make gave no more errors.

This is wrong advice. In this case it may not matter because you just
created autoconf.h and it is probably empty. If however this file
existed on your host and was not empty, you could encounter unexpected
results (touching would merely change it's time stamp).

Allard