util-linux can't find hwclock ?

Jan Mattila jan.mattila at helsinki.fi
Mon Aug 23 00:27:41 PDT 2004

Quoting Christopher Bergeron <christopher at bergeron.com>:

> Guys (and token gal) - I'm trying to build util-linux inside
> of my new chrooted environment, however I'm getting this error:
>
> In file included from /tools/include/asm/io.h:4,
>                  from cmos.c:53:
> /tools/include/linux/config.h:4:28: linux/autoconf.h: No such file or
> directory
> make[1]: *** [cmos.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/util-linux-2.12a/hwclock'
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> However, the file _does_ exist:
> root:/sources/util-linux-2.12a# find / -name "autoconf.h"
> /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h
>
> and it's empty (per a previous step).
>
> The "  ./configure "  works out ok, and only warns me that I
> don't have zlib (which seems irrelevant).

I had the exact same problem a couple of days ago (I posted
"LFS-5.1.1 Ch.6 - Util-linux-2.12a build problems" Thu, 19 Aug
2004 01:40:39).

Looking inside config.h you can get an idea of the significance
of that error:

[root at terry:~] # cat /tools/include/linux/config.h

#ifndef _LINUX_CONFIG_H
#define _LINUX_CONFIG_H

#include <linux/autoconf.h>

#endif

So you can either fix that include to point to the empty autoconf.h
at /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h or you can touch a new autoconf.h
into what should oddly be /tools/include/linux/linux/autoconf.h
since the config.h is pointing to a linux directory inside the
/tools/include/linux directory, but I might have a bug in my head
about how these directory hierarchies actually work.

I changed the include address to /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h
and make gave no more errors.

PaX.
--

 Jan Mattila <jan.mattila at helsinki.fi>

 "Finland, Finland, Finland, Finland has it all."
                             - Michael Palin