Glibc install problems

Dane Powell danep at e-toll.com
Wed Aug 18 16:20:28 PDT 2004

> Dane Powell wrote:
> > Hey ya'll; I'm having some trouble installing Glibc in Chapter 5.  I've
> > scoured the web, but haven't been able to find any solutions:
> >
> > Configuration and make AUTOCONF=no all goes just fine, but when I do
> make
> > install, it ends in this:
> >
> > /mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/elf/sln
> > /mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/elf/symlink.list
> > make[1]: *** [install-symbolic-link] Illegal instruction
> > make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1'
> >
> > I'm building using a fresh Debian Woody install on a PIII-based laptop.
> Any
> > ideas???
> >
> This pops up not the first time here. Previously I answered "This is
> known to happen in VMware Workstation 4.5.x due to improper CPU
> emulation, please downgrade to VMware Workstation 4.0.2". If you are
> _not_ using VMware, please consider these steps until you succeed:
>
> 1) Upgrade the kernel in Woody and try again from scratch.
> 2) Try using the "testing" ersion of LFS and see if the problem is there.
> 3) Add a bug to Bugzilla.
>
> --
> Alexander E. Patrakov
> --

Well, problem solved (in a sense).  I'm building LFS on a computer that I
really care nothing about (*grin*) so I just wiped it clean and installed
Manrake 10.0 instead.  Everything seems to work fine under the new host.

Peace,
-D

All it takes to fly is to hurl oneself at the ground....and miss.
www.owlnet.rice.edu/~danep