LFS-5.1.1, Util-linux-2.12a, Ch. 5, configure problem

Doug Kehn rdkehn at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 11:23:19 PDT 2004

I've successfully built all modules prior to
Util-linux-2.12.a (Ch. 5).  When I attempt to
configure Util-linux-2.12a I receive the following
output:

lfs at dk-lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources/util-linux-2.12a$
./configure

configuring util-linux-2.12a

You have <scsi/scsi.h>
You have <linux/blkpg.h>
You have <linux/kd.h>
You have <locale.h>
You have <langinfo.h>
You have <sys/user.h>
You have <rpcsvc/nfs_prot.h>
You have <asm/types.h>
You have <linux/raw.h>
You have <stdint.h>
You have inet_aton()
You have fsync()
You have getdomainname()
You have nanosleep()
You have personality()
You have updwtmp()
You have fseeko()
You have lchown()
You have rpmatch()
You don't need <linux/tqueue.h>
You don't have <term.h>
You don't have ncurses - I will not make ul and
setterm.
You don't have termcap - I will not make more.
You need -lcrypt
You have <libintl.h> and gettext()
You have __progname
You have <pty.h> and openpty()
You have wide character support
You have SYS_pivot_root
You have a tm_gmtoff field in struct tm
Your rpcgen seems to work
You don't have zlib
lfs at dk-lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources/util-linux-2.12a$

Obviously, 'make -C text-utils more' will fail because
the configure tells me that it won't make 'more'.  I
understand that termcap isn't available.  But ncurses
should be as we built it in a previous step.

In looking at configure, I'm wondering if there isn't
a bug in the following if statement:

#
# 2. How is [n]curses installed?
#
test_curses_h=0
have_ncurses=1
if ! ./testincl "term.h"; then
        have_ncurses=0

Since term.h doesn't exist (which results in
have_ncurses=0), more won't build.  If you change the
if statement to:

if ./testincl "term.h"; then
        :

configure will execute the elif section that we
modified to use /tools/include.  After this change,
configure outputs:

[...]

You have ncurses. Using <ncurses/curses.h>.
You don't have termcap
You need -lcrypt
You have <libintl.h> and gettext()
You have __progname
You have <pty.h> and openpty()
You have wide character support
You have SYS_pivot_root
You have a tm_gmtoff field in struct tm
Your rpcgen seems to work
You don't have zlib
lfs at dk-lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources/util-linux-2.12a$

Now more builds just fine.

So...

1. Is this a bug and what I have done to resolve the
issue is correct?

2. Is this a bug and what I have done to resolve the
issue is not correct?  (Please, what is the correct
resolution)

3. This is a bug but I don't really need more so get
over it and move on.

4. I've messed something up before this point.  Go
back and figure out what's wrong.

Thanks.
...doug