Glibc install problems

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Aug 16 00:20:17 PDT 2004

Dane Powell wrote:
> Hey ya'll; I'm having some trouble installing Glibc in Chapter 5.  I've
> scoured the web, but haven't been able to find any solutions:
>
> Configuration and make AUTOCONF=no all goes just fine, but when I do make
> install, it ends in this:
>
> /mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/elf/sln
> /mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/elf/symlink.list
> make[1]: *** [install-symbolic-link] Illegal instruction
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1'
>
> I'm building using a fresh Debian Woody install on a PIII-based laptop.  Any
> ideas???

This pops up not the first time here. Previously I answered "This is
known to happen in VMware Workstation 4.5.x due to improper CPU
emulation, please downgrade to VMware Workstation 4.0.2". If you are
_not_ using VMware, please consider these steps until you succeed:

1) Upgrade the kernel in Woody and try again from scratch.
2) Try using the "testing" ersion of LFS and see if the problem is there.
3) Add a bug to Bugzilla.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov