bash 3 trap usage message when configuring gcc-3.3.3

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 12 13:41:51 PDT 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:19:46 -0400
Christopher M Bergeron <christopher at bergeron.com> wrote:

> When trying to configure gcc-3.3.3 (pass 1 and pass 2) the last
> message that is displayed is a "trap" usage explanation.
>
> I'm using bash v3 and I think the trap syntax might be different from
> bash v2.  Has anyone else seen this message?  Is it an error or
> something I should be concerned about?  I was able to build gcc (both
> passes) successfully, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned about
> a mis-configuration that might bite me in the arse later.
>
> Anyone have any info?

Right, I've done some tests (as have others on IRC) and this isn't a
problem if you follow either of the books (unstable or testing) that
have bash-3.0 in it.  The problem occurs with the configure scripts in
gcc-3.3.x tarballs.  I got it with 3.3.4, you got it with 3.3.3,  Moody
(on IRC) got it with 3.3.2.  Running gcc-3.4.1's configure script
completes successfully, although that's largely because it's multi-level
(like binutils), not all subdirectories get configured immediately.
Running through 'make' results in a fully configured tree, and 'make'
completes successfully :)  By the way, if you're wondering what causes
older gcc's to not configure properly there's a thread here -
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2004-07/msg00279.html - which
shows it's due to stricter POSIX compliance on the part of bash-3.0.

Thanks again for your report - at least we know the book's instructions
work :)

Matt.