LFS Size after install

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Aug 10 09:16:34 PDT 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Tony Sequeira wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:07:23 -0500, William wrote
>
> > Ratrophy (William)
>
> Hey Ratrophy, I got a bone to pick with you.  Maybe it was a typo, or I'm going
> blind, but it cost me a few ill afforded hours.
>
> I had queried the maximum size of the tools directory in IRC, and you said 50 60
> MB tops.  So I used a 128MB partition, and it fell over during the
first build
> of glibc.
>
> Perhaps you meant 500-600 MB?  Or maybe I read 50-60 when you wrote 500-600?

 On my LFS-5.1 i686 /tools is using 169MB, but that is after the build
and I would expect unstable and testing to be a bit bigger.  That is
just the size after it was finished and stripped.  You typically need
almost a GB for building glibc.  If it makes you any happier, it's even
bigger on ppc.

> Anyway, I feel better now I got that off my chest :)
>
> No real harm done.
>
> Cheers.

 Never trust anybody else's space estimates :)

Ken