Rebooting the system

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 9 07:15:27 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 05:39 -0700, FRED MSUMENO wrote:
>         Hi,
>
>         I have tried to change my /etc/fstab file  as suggested below
>         I still get the same failures in rebooting my new lfs system ,
>         I also have tried to check and change some other files I'm
>         getting same errors or increase number of errors
>
>         Please any further help of what is wrong ! or what options
>         should I do in my files?
>
>         FRED .
>         -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

>         Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:15:15 +0200
>         From: Thomas Hackert
>         Subject: Re: Rebooting the system
>         To: FRED MSUMENO
>         Cc: lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
>
>         Hi Fred,
>         On Mittwoch, 4. August 2004 09:29, you wrote:
>         > -mount:can't find / in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab .......FAILED
>         > -mount:can not remove /var/run/utmp :Read only file system
>         > ...........FAILED
>         > -Recording exiting mounts in etc/mtab ........
>         > /etc/rc/rcsysinit.d/s40mountfs: line 17: /etc/mtab:Readonly
>         file
>         > system mount: can't find / in /etc/fstab or etc/mtab
>         > ......FAILED
>         > -mount:mounting remain file system .... FAILED
>         > rm:Removing /var/run/* and /var/lock/* ....... FAILED
>         > Starting system log daemon .... FAILED
>         These are only messages, that your partition seems to be read-
>         only.
>
>         > Here is my /etc/fstab as it looks in my new system
>         >
>         > # Begin /etc/fstab
>         > # file system mount-point fs-type options
>         > dump fsck-order
>         > /dev/hda5 / old-distro ext3 noauto

Where is your / mounted?  I'm not seeingthat anywhere. That seems to be
the error.  Is /dev/hda5 supposed to be your root?  Your /etc/fstab
should be in this order:

# file system, mount-point, fs-type, options, dump, fsck-order

So, if /dev/hda5 contains your root lfs tree with an ext3 filestem, the
following would be valid:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 0 0

Otherwise change /dev/hda5 to whatever partition you've built lfs on.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net