Glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1 install error

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 5 16:44:40 PDT 2004

Jim Martin wrote:

> no libm-err-tab.pl $pwd/.. > libm-err-tmp
> /bin/sh: line 1: no: command not found

The magic line is right here. The glibc configure process tried to find
perl on your PATH, couldn't, and instead of barfing it just stored "no"
as the path to the perl binary.

Later, of course, when it tries to run perl, it can't, because there is
no executable named "no", and even if there was it wouldn't be a perl
interpreter anyway. Someday package maintainers will fix their configure
scripts to deal with this properly.

Anyway, the root of your problem is that perl was not available when you
ran the glibc configure script. Since we install perl during chapter 5,
something went wrong during that chapter and you'll have to backtrack to
see what you did.