Rebooting the system

Thomas Hackert thackert at nexgo.de
Wed Aug 4 14:15:15 PDT 2004

Hi Fred,
On Mittwoch, 4. August 2004 09:29, you wrote:
first off, please answer to the list, not to someone personal ... ;)

> -mount:can't find / in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab .......FAILED
> -mount:can not remove /var/run/utmp :Read only file system
> ...........FAILED
> -Recording exiting mounts in etc/mtab ........
> /etc/rc/rcsysinit.d/s40mountfs: line 17: /etc/mtab:Readonly file
> system mount: can't find  / in /etc/fstab or etc/mtab
> ......FAILED
> -mount:mounting remain file system ....    FAILED
> rm:Removing /var/run/* and /var/lock/* .......  FAILED
> Starting system log daemon ....     FAILED
These are only messages, that your partition seems to be read-only.

> Here is my /etc/fstab  as it looks in my new system
>
> # Begin /etc/fstab
> # file system  mount-point      fs-type     options
> dump  fsck-order
> /dev/hda5     / old-distro          ext3         noauto
This here          ^^^^^^^ should be /old-distro & ^^^ should be
defaults ... I think this is the reason for the "read-only file
system"-messages above ... Maybe I am wrong here and some of the
others could correct me ... ;)

>        1         1 /dev/hda6      swap               swap
> pri=1                     0         0 proc          /proc
>          proc         defaults                  0        0 devpts
>        /dev/pts            devpts       gid=4,mode=620       0
>     0 shm           /dev/shm          tmpfs         defaults
>                0        0
> # End /etc/fstab
> However in chapter 2 ,(creating a new partion ) I used  hint from
> <Matthias S. Benkmann>(
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfs_next_to
>_existing_systems.txt) so the first line in /etc/fstab is changed
> accordingly.
I have skimmed through it here and there I have seen the above
mentioned /old-distro. Although Matthias mentioned the noauto entry
in fstab, I think jfs should be defaulted ...

> Also there is another failure which is not related to  /etc/fstab
> -----Starting system log daemon ....     FAILED
> please in your reply let me know also about it
Like I said above: Your file system is read-only. Log daemons are
normally configured to log a lot of stuff to some files and if they
can not write to it, they fail to start ...

> Thanks in advance .
> FRED.
I hope I made it a bit clearer and my English is understandable
enough
Thomas.

Noize terroR #83 @ www.seti23.org
registered LFS user #9947 @www.linuxfromscratch