ch6 Perl installation fails

lfs.5.rheinwald at spameater.org lfs.5.rheinwald at spameater.org
Tue Aug 3 09:30:37 PDT 2004

Hi.

I have an LFS 5.1.1 problem.

When calling Perl's make in chapter 6, I get the following error:

==========
root:/sources/perl-5.8.4#./configure.gnu --prefix=/usr -Dpager="/bin/less -isR"
[lots of configure lines which don't show any errors...]
Updating makefile...
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/perl-5.8.4/x2p'
Now you must run 'make'.

If you compile perl5 on a different machine or from a different object
directory, copy the Policy.sh file from this object directory to the
new one before you run Configure -- this will help you with most of
the policy defaults.

root:/sources/perl-5.8.4# make
makefile:905: *** missing separator.  Stop.
root:/sources/perl-5.8.4#
==========

When I look into makefile, no wonder make complains:

==========
[lots of lines which I think are not of interest...]
ctags:  tags

# Let's hope make will not go into an infinite loop on case-unsensitive systems
# This may also fail if . is in the head of the path, since perl will
# require -Ilib
tags:   TAGS
        perl emacs/e2ctags.pl TAGS > tags

# AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED MAKE DEPENDENCIES--PUT NOTHING BELOW THIS LINE
# If this runs make out of memory, delete /usr/include lines.
0
av$(OBJ_EXT): /usr/include/_G_config.h
av$(OBJ_EXT): /usr/include/alloca.h
av$(OBJ_EXT): /usr/include/arpa/inet.h
[more lines like the last ones above...]

See this zero in the middle? Where does this come from?

Host system is i386 with LFS 5.0 as a basis.

I have rerun the book several times, ending up copying and pasting every single line from the HTML pages... no success.

Thankful for any help,

Tobias