chroot doesn't work during distribution stage!

ke chen linux_kurt at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 06:49:30 PDT 2004

Dear all,

I tried to distribute my LFS5.0 system to another host. After booting the host with a bootable CD, i made disk partition, just three partitions, /hda1 for boot directory, /hda5 for root directory, swap, and format them.

then mount partition to /mnt
"mount -t ext2 /dev/hda5 /mnt"
"mkdir /mnt/boot"
"mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt/boot"

After that,copy pre-established LFS distribution to /mnt
"cp -a distro/* /mnt"

Then I wanted to use "chroot /mnt", but it doesn't work.
"chroot /mnt" when pressing enter, cursor stops at the next line, no response.

But i can run it appending command options
"chroot /mnt grub"
when entering grub shell, I also encountered something strange.
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
it printed out messages like the followings:
**************************************
checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exsits no
     "/grub/stage1" exsits yes
            "/grub/stage2" exsits yes
            "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exsits no
Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) /grub/stage2 p /grub/menu.list" ... succeed done
kernel /boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda5  >>>> kernel (hd0,0)/lfskernel root=/dev/hda5

Can somebody help me out on "chroot /mnt"? i really need it work. As for the grub, i am still confused and hopefully someone can make me clear.

Thank you in advance

Best Regards,
kurt