problems with network interface and login prompt

blux.net at lineone.net blux.net at lineone.net
Mon Apr 26 09:16:44 PDT 2004

Greetings,

I have two problends with n LFS5.2 system needing help:
A)
I need some help with network interface activation on boot-up of an LFS5.2
system.  The /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 is set as (for
example)
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDRESS=blabla
NETMASK=blablaBLA
NETWORK=bbla.bla.alb.ksks

on booting I receive  something like toe following
Starting kernel log daemon:
SIOCSFADDI: No such device
eth0 : unknown interface
SIOCSIFBRADDR: No such device
SIOCSSFNETMASK: No such device

I had symlinked modprobe and depmod  from /usr/sbin to /sbin.  Once booting
is over the module for the network device  (in this case an RT8139( card)
can be loaded and the network-interface activated with ifconfig.  The requirement
however is to load it on boot.  The module directory name and the kernel
config file in /boot had different names.  I then provided a symlink /lib/modules/xxx
 to match the name of the /boot/xxx config file but  this made no difference.
 It is important thot the network interfce is activated at boot so some
  Some help would be appreciated.

b)
the prompt obtained on boot up is -bash-2.05b.  The login is absent.  Although
no a high priority, so help  with this would also be appreciated.

Yours sincerely
Blux.net