different kernel's

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Apr 24 15:59:21 PDT 2004

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Tom Black wrote:

> If I read the documentation right (questionable) I can compile
> additional kernels and put them side by side with different names and
> fill grub with different directions for each one?
> eg.  the selection portion of menu.lst should read
>
> #The first entry is for LFS on hdb1
> title LFS 5.0 - standard kernel
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hdb1
>
> # second option with kernel 2.6
> title LFS 5.0 with kernel 2.6
> root (hd0,0
> kernel /boot/lfskernel2 root=/dev/hdb1

 Ignoring grub syntax issues, if you are going to have multiple kernels,
why don't you just call the future ones vmlinuz-2.6.5, vmlinuz-2.6.6,
vmlinuz-2.6.6-2, ... ?  Or kernel-2.6.5, ... if you prefer.  My point is
to get the file names indicating the kernel version / build version if
there is more than one (e.g. trying an altered config).  I can guarantee
that if you try new kernels with any regularity, in three months time
you'll need to boot lfskernel2 to be able to determine which release it
was.

Ken