Is Knoppix a suitable Build Environment for LFS?

Rick S. llrickll at llprsgroupll.net
Sat Apr 24 09:44:43 PDT 2004

>From my first experience, I see one very big advantage to Knoppix -- you
can't do anything to accidently kill your host. As far as the ram drive, if
there was anything I needed to save, I saved it to /tools on the lfs drive.
I think this was much easier than installing another distro.

"Jens Hülser" <alphabingo at epost.de> wrote in message
news:408A3BE5.19244.18B6A9 at localhost...
> I know I can try it and find out, but i'm hoping someone here has the
> answer.
>
> Is Knoppix (3.3) a suitable build environment for building an LFS
> system?  In other words does it have all the tools.
> I've poked around abit on this one, and I've found lots of "how do I
> make a bootable LFS like knoppix" but that's not what I want to know.
>
> --
> Thomas Black
> Linux Tutored by LFS 5.0
> http://wr189.wireless111.com
>
> Linux From Scratch:.¶./V\//æ\\/(   )\^`¶´^
>      .¶.
>      /V\
>     //æ\\
>    /(   )\
>     ^`¶´^
> --

If you're going to use a swap partition of about 500M or bigger, there's
no need to use Knooppix. I'll use a swap partition of that size for my
lfs, but at the moment this partition contains a minimum debian install.
This way I have no trouble with accidentially 'forgotten' data as I don't
have to rely on a f***ing ramdisk (a great thing to save data
temporarily, but I surely would mess up things when I'd use one to create
my lfs), and as soon as my lfs is bootable, I'll just type in 'mkswap
/dev/hdb2', get rid of debian and have a fine swap partition at the same
time :-) In Germany we say "Zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe schlagen"-
unfortunately I don't know something similar in English... Translation
could be: "Killing two flies with one hit"

cheers
Jens