booting LFS on VIA MVP3-solved/net interface on booting

blux.net at lineone.net blux.net at lineone.net
Sat Apr 24 02:27:43 PDT 2004

>Are you sure you're kernel is set up appropriately for your hardware?

You were absolutely correct.  It shows how long I tried building a kernel
on a non p2/p3/athlon machine.  Back in 2001 I last built a kernel on a
K6 and I then used make Xconfig where the processor type is clearly displayed.
 All my kernel building since  late 2003 to now  has NOT been using Xconfig.
 The oversight was an accident waiting to happen.

Once again many thanks for the help.

I have another problem however,  on boot-up the network interface does not
get loaded. It reported /sbin/depmod was missing.  I then symlinked /usr/sbin/depmod
to /sbin/depmod and ethN  still dot load on boot.   It loads with modprobe
ok after booting.  Conversely  the same LFS5.2 installation  boots with
network interface activated  on a via694/Celeron1100.

All suggestions are welcomed.

Yours sincerely
Blux