GRUB Bootloader problems

RavenKnight Raven.Knight-NoSpam at NoSpam-Verizon.net
Fri Apr 23 20:50:00 PDT 2004

RavenKnight wrote:
> Hello All,
>     My problem is that my system works great as long as I have a CD-ROM
> drive installed, when I remove it grub ( I think its grub) crashes with,
> system works fine with Fedora Core without CDROM:
>
> Fixed Disk Parameter Table or BIOS Error
> System Halted

Looking at previous posts, I have determined that it
must Be a hardware thing or, I installed Grub incorrectly.

> however, when I try to boot from toms boot disk I get as far as:
>
> end_request: I/O error, dev 02:3c (floppy), sector 1734
> end_request: I/O error, dev 02:3c (floppy), sector 1736
> RAMDISK: couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 867
> VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

It must not be able to read a smart disc drive located on HDA(?).

> [ON ENTER]
>
> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
> 00000008
> current->tss.cr3 = 00101000, %cr3 = 00101000
> ......[MORE CRASH DUMP]
>
> My hardware is a bit different then I normally use:
>
> System is a Compaq Presario 5240
> 1x Smart Disk Drive Connected to Primary IDE Channel as Master
> 1x 4GB HD Disk Drive Connected to Primary IDE Channel as Slave
>
> Thanks in Advance.

Going to pull a floppy drive out of another system, what a PITA.
After thinking about it some more, sorry to waste your time.