Is Knoppix a suitable Build Environment for LFS?

Rick S. llrickll at llprsgroupll.net
Fri Apr 23 16:43:37 PDT 2004

I just finished a LFS build using Knoppix as a host and it worked better
than I could have expected.

It was necessary to recreate my mount point for the lfs volume each time I
restarted because the /mnt directory is on a ram disk. Also, at the
beginning of chapter 6, I had to issue the command "chmod 666 /dev/ptmx" to
get pty's working.

I am a "newbie" and this was my first LFS attempt. I learned alot -- kudos
to the contributors that made this book possible!

Good luck & have fun!

Rick

"Bryan Breen" <Bryan.C.Breen.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote in message
news:3.0.5.32.20040423160327.01769ad0 at pop900.gsfc.nasa.gov...
> At 15:59 4/23/04 -0500, Tom Black wrote:
> >I know I can try it and find out, but i'm hoping someone here has the
> >answer.
> >
> >Is Knoppix (3.3) a suitable build environment for building an LFS
> >system?  In other words does it have all the tools.
> >I've poked around abit on this one, and I've found lots of "how do I
> >make a bootable LFS like knoppix" but that's not what I want to know.
>
> Back in January (I think) a bunch of folks posted in the LFS lists about a
few of the extra concerns and steps necessary with using Knoppix (since it
isn't a permanent system) but suggest it is perfectly feasible.