problem with binutils make tooldir=/usr in Cpt 6

Rick S. llrickll at llprsgroupll.net
Thu Apr 22 21:24:42 PDT 2004

I'm stumped.

First, I'll confess -- I'm a newbie.

In CVS-2004-03-21 chapter 6, when installing binutils-2.14, "make
tooldir=/usr install" fails to place "as" (and possibly other binaries) in
/usr/bin. If I omit the "tooldir=/usr" then it properly installs it in
/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin AND /usr/bin. This solves a missing "as" problem
when I attempt to compile the kernel, but doesn't explain why it failed with
"tooldir=/usr".

I renamed /tools and removed it from the path to insure that I could build
the kernel without it.

Thanks,
Rick