Stuck in a reboot loop

Tom Black tcblack at wireless111.net
Thu Apr 22 15:20:34 PDT 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Tom Black wrote:
>

>>Finished LFS 5.0 this morning and did the reboot, now when grub comes up
>>I get my options just fine.  If I pick my mandrake disk (hda) it loads
>>fine, as do the other choices, however LFS (the default, which is on
>>hdb) simply flashes a message and reboots the system. (ack!)
>>
>>Heres the screen that flashes just before the reboot:
>>Booting 'LFS 5.0'
>>

>  My standard response for today is "maybe you compiled the kernel for
> the wrong processor" (e.g. whatever Marcelo has as the default config,
> instead of selecting the processor you've got).  I'm not entirely sure
> about this response because usually you get to see an "uncompressing the
> kernel" message, but if it was a grub/configuration problem you would
> surely drop back to grub.
>
> Ken
>  --
>  das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce

AAArrgh!  That was such a stupid mistake.  I recompiled for an AMD k6
instead of an i386: et voila!  She works.
I also took the time to fix my network driver selection (there are two
DEC chipsets and I picked the wrong one of course)  It's compiling now.
<pause>
Ah, finished at last.  Reboot... HOORAY.  My LFS system is alive! (and
shiny) :-D
Now if I could just figure out how to make dircolors work...

--
Thomas Black
Total Linux Newbie (But trying to cure it)

Linux From Scratch:.˜./V\//†\\/(   )\^`˜´^
     .˜.
     /V\
    //†\\
   /(   )\