Stupid question

mrnobby no at spam.please
Thu Apr 22 11:30:33 PDT 2004

"Eric" <Eric at NoAddr.ess> wrote in message
news:c623ru$evj$1 at belgarath.linuxfromscratch.org...
> gulrs wrote:
> > Linux From Scratch: Version 5.1-pre1
> >
> > http://lfs.crash404.com/lfs/view/test/chapter05/binutils-pass1.html
> >
> > The Binutils documentation recommends building Binutils outside of
the
> > source directory in a dedicated build directory:
> >
> > mkdir ../binutils-build
> > cd ../binutils-build
> >
> >     Note: If you want the SBU values listed in the rest of the book
> > be of any use, you will have to measure the time it takes to build
> > this package. To achieve this easily, you could do something like:
> > time { ./configure ... && ... && ... && make install; }.
> >
> > Now prepare Binutils for compilation:
> >
> > ../binutils-2.14/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls
> >
> > So, my question is:
> > Where should I create binutils-build? /mnt/lfs? or /mnt/lfs/tools?
> > Where should I unpack Binutils-2.14? In binutils-build?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> $LFS/sources/binutils-build
> $LFS/sources/binutils-2.14

It does not matter where you put them, as long as there is enough spare
space for the binutils-build directory (and the files that willl
eventually be created there). I've even had the *-2.14 and *-build
directories on completely different disks (and gcc, glibc etc.) with no
problems. I wouldn't (as already suggested by Joel Miller elsewhere) put
*-build as a child to the *-2.14 directory. But having said that, if you
want to guarantee a faultless installation (i.e. this is your first LFS
build) do *exactly* what the book says - it is all there - you just have
to read it carefully.

Mr Nobby.