Cross compiling for i486 - too late now?

mrnobby no at spam.please
Thu Apr 22 11:24:09 PDT 2004

"davidh" <davidh-lfs at tamix.com> wrote in message
news:20040421121750.M74570 at jobz.co.nz...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm building a LFS (my second one), but this time I'm cross-compiling
> for an i486.  Unfortunately I didn't read the cross compiling hint
> until now - I'm already up to compiling GCC (pass 2; near the end of
> chapter 5)
>
> My question is this:  Am I too late to start using the uname hack now?
>
> Since I've only built the toolchain, can I now install the uname hack
> and have gcc build me i486 binaries from now on?
>
> If I have to start over again, then so be it... but thats a waste of
> around 4 hours build time...
Hi,

If you've been reading lfs.chat, you'll know that I am building LFS 5.0
on an i386/DX-20. Native. If not, check out
http://www.manik.mina.dsl.pipex.com/lfsbuild/. You'll see that the first
package, Binutils, took 3.25 hours just to un-pack. Four hours is no
time at all!

I have just completed building the Temporary System on an i486/DX4-100
with 64 MB RAM - this took a total of 3 days. I estimate the rest of the
build would take about 3-4 days. My recommendation would be to forget
the cross compiling and build LFS 5.0 straight on to your 486. Even if
it was a lowly 25 MHz version, it would probably only take 3 weeks at
most. You'll also be guaranteed 100% i486 code as well ;-)

Mr Nobby.