Expect is missing

Tom Black tcblack at wireless111.net
Mon Apr 19 19:45:34 PDT 2004

Ok, I've gotten through to chapter 6 in the Chroot environment,
re-adjusted the toolchain, deleted the binutils directories and was
starting to install binutils.  When I arrived at the test for pseudo
terminals I typed
expect -c "spawn ls" and got the following error:
expect: command not found
it's not in
I've read through the faq's and searched but can not yet find a relevant
answer.

readelf -l /tools/bin/expect | grep terpr
results in readelf: Error: Cannot stat input file /tools/bin/expect.
  echoing the $PATH shows
/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin

I tried to reinstall expect from here (probably not all that smart) but
ran the following command from the book:
./configure --prefix=/tools --with-tcl=/tools/lib --with-x=no

amidst all the other stuff I get the message

checking for Tcl private headers... checking for tclInt.h... no
configure: error: Can't find Tcl private headers

How far back do I have to go?  All the way?  Can I continue to work from
within the Chroot and backup only a bit, or do I start over again?

--
Thomas Black
Total Linux Newbie (But trying to cure it)