ln -s linux.x.x.x linux or not?

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Mon Apr 19 10:38:16 PDT 2004

* Tom Black <tcblack at wireless111.net> [2004-04-19 17:34]:
> After reading through multiple faq's NG. postings in both LFS and other
> spots, I'm still unclear on if I should be creating or not creating a
> symbolic link to the Linux source.
> I'm currently in the lfs 5.0 book at
> http://lfs.crash404.com/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/kernel.html
>
> I ultimately unpacked the bz2 linux kernal into /usr/src/linux-2.4.22
> and ran
> ln -s linux-2.4.22 linux
>
> Please somebody tell me if that was the worst or best (or indifferent?)
> thing I could have done.

The problem is that there are (allegedly) packages that insist on
looking for headers in /usr/src/linux. Some of those packages are broken
and really should be using the kernel headers against which glibc was
compiled.

However, some packages really do need the headers of the current running
kernel, and not those of the original kernel glibc was compiled against.
An example is third-party modules.

In most cases the link should be harmless. I have it pointing to the
running kernel sources, because I have a driver that needs it, and I
don't really want to set up the link every time I compile the driver. It
hasn't caused any ill-effects (that I can see :)

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/