LFS 5.0: binutils-2.14 first pass failure

David Barron dlbarron at nc.rr.com
Sun Apr 18 08:00:28 PDT 2004

Tom Black wrote:

> Allard Welter wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 17 April 2004 02:50, tcblack(nospamhere) wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> You indicated you are in it for the learning experience, so some
>> clarification is probably in order. exec=execute as=assembler. 'as'
>> is part of the gcc package thus this indicates that perhaps not
>> everything is as it should be with your host installation. I'm not
>> that familiar with Mandrake, but I think you should check that the
>> Mandrake gcc installation is complete and functioning. configure is
>> trying to compile a simple test program to check whether your
>> compiler is suitable to compile binutils.
>
> <snip>
> Sincere thanks to each of you,
> I appreciate the FAQ pointer - spent some time there last night and
> cursed myself for committing the newbie mistake of NOT going there
> first. I'm seldom that dense (-:
> As for your suggestion that something might be wrong in my Mandrake
> install you were correct. After much poking around in the FAQ's and
> more I ultimately did a clean install of mandrake and installed the
> Developers packages (they didn't install right the last time for
> reasons unknown to me - but I think it had to do with a failing SIMM.)
> Yes it was drastic but I'm doing all this on a "spare" machine anyway.
>
> Anyway, Binutils has just finished compiling (SBU=50 minutes) and I'm
> off to the next page...
>
> Thomas Black
> Total Linux Newbie (But trying to cure it)
> http://wr189.wireless111.com

Good work.
I find Mandrake to be unreliable to the extreme. Personally, I use
Knoppix as my host install. Couple of advantages with it. I can just
boot off the cd and not have to install a host system. Also I've got a
full x windows system and Internet access, so I can copy and paste each
step straight out of the book, I've used it twice so far and it's worked
well.