Ch 6: Bash ignoring PATH?

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Sun Apr 18 02:57:44 PDT 2004

On Sunday 18 April 2004 09:59, hn wrote:
> > I think you'll find echo in /tools/bin
>
> Yeah, it's there - what does that imply?

you issued echo $PATH not /tools/bin/echo $PATH

> The faq suggests checking the dynamic linker; well I can do that
> only using the absolute paths (or within the /tools/bin directory):
> - using the 'dummy.c' process:
> root:/tools/bin# ./readelf -L a.out | ./grep 'interpreter'
> [Requesting program interpreter: /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2]
>
> I think that's what I'm supposed to get.

Yup does readelf on make give you the same output? If it doesn't, you'll need
to check each binary in /tools

> Moreover:
> (No yet) fixed bug reveals another bug ...
> I had mistyped one of the symlinks during one of the previous steps (and
> thaught I fixed that) - anyway I have some files in /bin installed now
> (and I think it should be empty at this point, right?) including 'echo'

There should only be a couple of symlinks in /bin created early on in chapter
6. There should be no executables yet.

> (so I assume it's THIS ONE I can call now from anywhere in the directory
> tree;
> what confuses me is I have 'make' in /bin as well and it 'is not found').
> I'm a bit confused now about how the whole PATH thing works ... Anyway,
> let me recreate the whole directory tree (apart from /tools) to see what
> happens ...

As the faq says, the "no such file or directory" message is not very useful.
It hardly ever means the file/dir literally doesn't exist in these kind of
situations. I have the uneasy feeling that I should know what's gone wrong
with your install but cannot make it surface. No harm starting ch6 again.
Double check the first few steps.

Success

allard at quicknet.nl