LFS 5.0: binutils-2.14 first pass failure

Tom Black tcblack at wireless111.net
Sat Apr 17 17:13:40 PDT 2004

Allard Welter wrote:
> On Saturday 17 April 2004 02:50, tcblack(nospamhere) wrote:
<snip>
> You indicated you are in it for the learning experience, so some clarification
> is probably in order. exec=execute as=assembler. 'as' is part of the gcc
> package thus this indicates that perhaps not everything is as it should be
> with your host installation. I'm not that familiar with Mandrake, but I think
> you should check that the Mandrake gcc installation is complete and
> functioning. configure is trying to compile a simple test program to check
> whether your compiler is suitable to compile binutils.
<snip>
Sincere thanks to each of you,
I appreciate the FAQ pointer - spent some time there last night and
cursed myself for committing the newbie mistake of NOT going there
first.  I'm seldom that dense (-:
As for your suggestion that something might be wrong in my Mandrake
install you were correct.  After much poking around in the FAQ's and
more I ultimately did a clean install of mandrake and installed the
Developers packages (they didn't install right the last time for reasons
unknown to me - but I think it had to do with a failing SIMM.)  Yes it
was drastic but I'm doing all this on a "spare" machine anyway.

Anyway, Binutils has just finished compiling (SBU=50 minutes) and I'm
off to the next page...

Thomas Black
Total Linux Newbie (But trying to cure it)
http://wr189.wireless111.com