Ch 6: Bash ignoring PATH?

nh nobodyhome_41 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 17 14:01:02 PDT 2004

Hi,
this is my first LFS build (5.0) and I got stuck in chapter 6,
Installing Linux headers. I 'chroot'ed succesfully (it appeared at first
sight) but when I run 'make mrproper' now, I get bash: /bin/make: no
such file or directory.
echo $PATH responds with: /bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin (as I
would expect).
make exists in /tools/bin and works fine if invoked by /tools/bin/make.
I assume I made a stupid typo somewhere (as was the case several times
before) but this time I can't figure it out.
Any hints why bash seems to ignore the PATH variable?
TIA