LFS 5.0: binutils-2.14 first pass failure

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Sat Apr 17 08:48:09 PDT 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 22:19, tcblack(nospamhere) wrote:
> Greetings all,
> I'm just starting to work with Linux and I'm following as best I can
> through the book.
> *  Installed Mandrake 9.2 on hda and created /lfs on hdb.
<snip>

> I feel like these are related but I'm having trouble somewhere.
> O and I'm also working with:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfs_next_to_existing_
>systems.txt since the /lfs directory is mounted by Mandrake.
>
> Thomas C. Black

Hello again, I was just rereading your original post as I didn't get as far as
the bottom the first time (naughty me).

You don't need to use the lfs_next_to_existing_systems.txt hint since you have
two partitions. This hint is for folks who only have one partition. You have
mandrake on hda and indicate above that lfs is on hdb -> TWO DISKS -> at
least two partitions. This is a normal, straightforward by-the-book build. No
need to make matters more complicated than necesarry.

I suggest you follow the book as closely as possible. Create the lfs directory
on /mnt as suggested and export the environment variable LFS=/mnt/lfs. The
fewer things you introduce deviating from the book, the less likely it is for
things to go wrong, and the easier it will be for others to troubleshoot your
installation if things go wrong.

Regards again,
Allard.

allard at quicknet.nl