LFS 5.0: binutils-2.14 first pass failure

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Sat Apr 17 04:00:24 PDT 2004

On Saturday 17 April 2004 02:50, tcblack(nospamhere) wrote:
[...]
> however when I execute the configure program I get another error
> concerning the as directory:
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
You indicated you are in it for the learning experience, so some clarification
is probably in order. exec=execute as=assembler. 'as' is part of the gcc
package thus this indicates that perhaps not everything is as it should be
with your host installation. I'm not that familiar with Mandrake, but I think
you should check that the Mandrake gcc installation is complete and
functioning. configure is trying to compile a simple test program to check
whether your compiler is suitable to compile binutils.

> *** The command 'gcc -o conftest -O2   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

As you can see, it failed. Check out the things (another)Thomas suggested. You
should be familiar with the faq. The search engine on the lfs website is a
great source of information. Entering "You must set the environment variable
CC to a working compiler" (note the quotes) returned 85 results. Your answer
is surely there somewhere.

> Here I go again!
> Thanks.
Hang in there. Every journey begins with a single step. Once binutils is under
way, the first step is taken and it should be downhill from there.

allard at quicknet.nl