LFS 5.0: binutils-2.14 first pass failure

tcblack(nospamhere) "tcblack(nospamhere)" at wireless111.net
Fri Apr 16 17:50:36 PDT 2004

Allard Welter wrote:

> Ok, take 2. This usually indicates a link pointing to itself. In the past
> folks have somehow managed to get /tools (or lfs/tools) pointing to itself.
> Check this first.
> ls -l /
> should show (amongst other entries) something like
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 lfs root    10 Apr 17 00:40 tools -> lfs/tools/

Bingo, I got:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            6 Apr 16 11:32 tools -> /tools
so I deleted /lfs/tools
su and deleted /tools.
ok, back several pages and finally got it fixed. I think.
ls - / now results in
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root 10 Apr 16 19:19 tools -> /lfs/tools/

however when I execute the configure program I get another error
concerning the as directory:
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory

*** The command 'gcc -o conftest -O2   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

Here I go again!
Thanks.

Thomas Black