LFS 5.0: binutils-2.14 first pass failure

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Fri Apr 16 16:01:11 PDT 2004

On Saturday 17 April 2004 00:19, tcblack(nospamhere) wrote:

<snip>
> Thanks Allard, but It's not working just yet.  I have a feeling it has
> something to do with the symbolic links (but I'm too new to know where
> that is or how to kill it :-) )
> My directory structure looks like
> /lfs/binutils-build
> /lfs/sources
> /lfs/tools
> I ran the tar in /lfs and got:
> /lfs/binutils-2.14
>
> Below you can see that I'm starting in /lfs and moving to
> /lfs/binutils-build to run the configure script (from the /binutils-2.14
> directory.)
>
> Also: Should my prefix tag be set to /tools or /lfs/tools?
>

> -bash-2.05b$ pwd
> /lfs
> -bash-2.05b$ cd binutils-build
> -bash-2.05b$ ../binutils-2.14/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls
> checking target system type... i586-pc-linux-gnu
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': Too many levels of symbolic
> links
Ok, take 2. This usually indicates a link pointing to itself. In the past
folks have somehow managed to get /tools (or lfs/tools) pointing to itself.
Check this first.
ls -l /
should show (amongst other entries) something like
lrwxrwxrwx   1 lfs root    10 Apr 17 00:40 tools -> lfs/tools/

> *** The command 'gcc -o conftest -O2   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
> -bash-2.05b$
>
> Thanks for your help, I really am learning tons - just not tons enough
> <grin>.

At least you're still grinning. You're right at the beginning so starting over
shouldn't be too much of a mission. Would be nice to find the hurdle though.
I don't think anyone on this list doesn't have tons to learn - that's what
we're here for.

allard at quicknet.nl