LFS 5.0: binutils-2.14 first pass failure

tcblack(nospamhere) "tcblack(nospamhere)" at wireless111.net
Fri Apr 16 15:19:58 PDT 2004

Allard Welter wrote:

> It looks like you've misread/misinterpreted some of the instructions. When you
> create a build directory for certain packages the build directory must be at
> the same level as the package. Let's say the directory from which you're
Actually I didn't realize that - so I fixed that much. (thanks)

> unpacking the sources is /usr/src/ (this might be anywhere though)
>
> now unpack the package:
> /usr/src> tar -vjxf binutils-2.14.tar.bz2
> /usr/src> mkdir binutils-build
> /usr/src> cd binutils-build
> /usr/src/binutils-build> ../binutils-2.14/configure --options-etc
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> and all dhould go well.
>
> If that isn't 100% clear, please ask again, as you will come across this kind
<snip>
Thanks Allard, but It's not working just yet.  I have a feeling it has
something to do with the symbolic links (but I'm too new to know where
that is or how to kill it :-) )
My directory structure looks like
/lfs/binutils-build
/lfs/sources
/lfs/tools
I ran the tar in /lfs and got:
/lfs/binutils-2.14

Below you can see that I'm starting in /lfs and moving to
/lfs/binutils-build to run the configure script (from the /binutils-2.14
directory.)

Also: Should my prefix tag be set to /tools or /lfs/tools?

-bash-2.05b$ pwd
/lfs
-bash-2.05b$ cd binutils-build
-bash-2.05b$ ../binutils-2.14/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': Too many levels of symbolic
links
*** The command 'gcc -o conftest -O2   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
-bash-2.05b$

Thanks for your help, I really am learning tons - just not tons enough
<grin>.

Thomas Black