LFS 5.0: binutils-2.14 first pass failure

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Fri Apr 16 14:30:54 PDT 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 22:19, tcblack(nospamhere) wrote:
> Greetings all,
> I'm just starting to work with Linux and I'm following as best I can
> through the book.
> *  Installed Mandrake 9.2 on hda and created /lfs on hdb.
> *  I've not deviated from any packages and I've typed everything as
> exactly as I can, however I'm doing something wrong or my machine is
> flaky (can I prefer choice two?)
> When I move to /lfs/binutils-build/binutils-2.14 and execute
> ../binutils-2.14/ configure \ I get the following screen output.

Hi,

It looks like you've misread/misinterpreted some of the instructions. When you
create a build directory for certain packages the build directory must be at
the same level as the package. Let's say the directory from which you're
unpacking the sources is /usr/src/ (this might be anywhere though)

now unpack the package:
/usr/src> tar -vjxf binutils-2.14.tar.bz2
/usr/src> mkdir binutils-build
/usr/src> cd binutils-build
/usr/src/binutils-build> ../binutils-2.14/configure --options-etc
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and all dhould go well.

If that isn't 100% clear, please ask again, as you will come across this kind
of thing again later. You need to understand what is meant by the level of
the directory. Have a closer look at the commands as well, especially the one
I've underlined. You're executing configure, which is in a different
directory from the one you're in. Once configure has run succesfully, it will
create a Makefile in the binutils-build directory (which is where you must
stay when executing make in the next step)

Hope that clarifies things
regards - Allard.

allard at quicknet.nl