LFS 5.0: binutils-2.14 first pass failure

tcblack(nospamhere) "tcblack(nospamhere)" at wireless111.net
Fri Apr 16 13:19:04 PDT 2004

Greetings all,
I'm just starting to work with Linux and I'm following as best I can
through the book.
*  Installed Mandrake 9.2 on hda and created /lfs on hdb.
*  I've not deviated from any packages and I've typed everything as
exactly as I can, however I'm doing something wrong or my machine is
flaky (can I prefer choice two?)
When I move to /lfs/binutils-build/binutils-2.14 and execute
../binutils-2.14/ configure \ I get the following screen output.

-bash-2.05b$ ../binutils-2.14/configure \
checking host system type... config.sub: missing argument
Try `config.sub --help' for more information.

checking target system type... config.sub: missing argument
Try `config.sub --help' for more information.

checking build system type... config.sub: missing argument
Try `config.sub --help' for more information.

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': Too many levels of symbolic
links
*** The command 'gcc -o conftest -O2   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
-bash-2.05b$

Also: when attempting to get a dir listig of /tools I get the error:
dir: /tools: Too many levels of symbolic links

I feel like these are related but I'm having trouble somewhere.
O and I'm also working with:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfs_next_to_existing_systems.txt
since the /lfs directory is mounted by Mandrake.

Thomas C. Black